Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Das Leben Es Und Cabaret

So we played our first show with Yo La Tengo last night, in Bielefeld. I thought we went over well! It was great playing on a big stage with proper lights, sound, monitor man, everything. People seemed to like it.

Still sweating, I rushed over to where we'd set up our merchandise next to the bar, hoping to sell some stuff. A guy came up to me right away.

"Zwei rotwein, und ein tasse der tee," he said cheerily.

Wow, a compliment. I wished I could understand. He saw the incomprehension in my eyes and launched in again, speaking louder. "Zwie rotwein, und ein tasse der tee!"

Shaking my head, I smiled. "I'm sorry, I don't speak German?" In other words, please tell me how wonderful you thought we were, so I can understand.

"I'd like two red wines please, and a cup of tea."

7 comments:

Lindsay Hutton said...

Maybe he thought that was the title of your new 45? Makes a change from two pints of (lukewarm) lager and a packet of crisps. And I hope you managed to move some merch after all...

amy said...

Yes, even the rock clubs are classy like that in Germany. And we did sell a load of stuff after all...

Rosie said...

perhaps you should install a tea urn in the ambulance and branch out to supplement the merchandising...

KudzuCarl said...

Classic. Thanks for the laugh.

All-Of-A-Lucness said...

what sort of club serves tea!? thats germany for you...funny all the same!

amy said...

Yes, Rosie - tea and sandwiches. I think we'll do well.

Carl, after that, it turned out the guy was American...I met him in the dressing room after the show.

Healthy beverage options, Luci - but everyone was still smoking!

Andy Stone said...

He did say please!