Saturday, May 31, 2008

Blame It On The Rain

I think I've managed to overcome this week's crisis. It was helpful to take a step back and look at my work habits, which are nonexistent. The way I used to have an actual schedule dictated by my daughter's school hours, the isolation of the French countryside and maybe the fact that it's rained every day for the last year all add up to leave me constantly reaching for the internet like it was alcohol or comfort food (which I usually manage to hold off on until at least, umm, after five PM). I have to keep better track of the things I want to do, and trawling around online comes after. If it was only so simple. But at least I've got time management as my number one priority now, when I can get around to it.

We've had sun and blue skies for almost three whole days, and yesterday I finally managed to cut a springtime's worth of grass and weeds in the garden. So with the smug self-satisfaction that comes after only very occasional hard physical labor, I'm writing again. Without guilt!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You just reminded me of my yard. It's nice out today and I 'should' we weeding, but i'll end up going for a motorbike ride. I mean... seriously!

I'm happy to know you are writing again.

travelling, but not in love said...

You know, a little bit of what we enjoy keeps us sane...if you enjoy writing, then go for it. I certainly enjoy reading it.....

DelLordsReunoin said...

Whew! All this talk about yardwork is making me feel guilty. I usually don't mow the lawn till the neighbors start circulating a petition. I just wanted to add my voice to the chorus of those who enjoy your diary. I'm a recent convert to your music and after ordering all your CD's am slowing taking in each one - The Sugar Tree is currently in my player nonstop - so hope you keep writing and looking forward to seeing you on tour this fall. Any chance your live album will be available again?

Anonymous said...

Funny how I just checked in on your site to see what was new with you and I stumble upon this thread.

The thread title seems so appropriate since I'd been listening to the Replacements' "Happy Town" and realized I had mistaken these key set of lyrics:

The plan was to set the world on its ear
But I bet you don't last
even a year
The plan was to set the world on fire
But it rains every day of your life
in Happy Town...

And for some reason, that phrase, "it rains every day of your life" kind of haunted me, that melancholy imagery. So i can imagine how a few days of sunshine can really lift your spirits (we actually had the wettest May on record here in the DC area, so I'm kind of aware of how the rain affects everyone).

But the actual line that Westerberg wrote was:

"but it rains everyday on a liar
in Happy Town..."

Above the treetops and thru the clouds, I know there's sun. Come back and play in Arlington, VA again!

Eric from Silver Spring, Maryland, USA